It’s been a bit quiet on my blog this year, this is partly because I’ve got a new job at ScraperWiki. This has reduced my blogging for two reasons, the first is that I am now much busier but the second is that I write for the ScraperWiki blog. I thought I’d summarise here what I’ve done there just to keep everything in one place.
There’s a lot of programming and data science in my new job , so I’ve been reading programming and data analysis books on the train into work. The book reviews are linked below:
- R in Action by Robert I. Kabacoff;
- Data Visualization: a successful design process by Andy Kirk;
- Machine Learning in Action by Peter Harrington;
- Interactive Data Visualization for the web by Scott Murray;
- Natural Language Processing with Python by Steven Bird, Ewan Klein & Edward Loper;
I seem to have read quite a lot!
Related to this is a post I did on Enterprise Data Analysis and visualisation: An interview study, an academic paper published by the Stanford Visualization Group.
Finally, I’ve been on the stage – or at least presenting at a meeting – I spoke at Data Science London a couple of weeks ago about Scraping and Parsing PDF files. I wrote a short summary of the event here.